Most of designers will remove doctype for their html files. This is most easy way to get what they wanted. Such as 100% table and center all the contents. If you do this. You never pass W3C Validation. But we choose one doctype. Some of effect will be disabled. I tried to list some common difference for the doctype.
- !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
- Most of old version browser will support this type. And this doctype is the most similar to remove doctype effect.
- Support - Height 100%
- Support - IE Scrolling Bar Coloring
- Not Support - Margin:0 Auto
- Getting error for appling Img Padding and Border
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"
- One of Dreamweaver selection doctype
- Not Support - Height 100% (If you need to do 100%, you need to set html and body to 100% at your CSS sheet)
- Not Support - IE Scrolling Bar Coloring
- Support - Margin:0 Auto
- Support- Img Padding
!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"&
- Another one of Dreamweaver selection doctype. Xhtml type is almost no difference than above one. But you need to take care for writing html code at Xhtml file. The structure of coding is need at XHTML file.
- At html file you can write
- But at XHTML type it will become an error
- You also need to close the <br> tag be <br />
There are other difference doctype at html setting. If you have an interest. You can search it at Google. There is a lot of result for detail informations.